Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we have a pointer, her previous owners have been feeding her beneful origina so we've started her off with that, however, some people say beneful isn't a good brand, can anyone recommend a good brand for my dog?:confused:

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Beneful is awful! That being said, I'd say it depends on what is available in your area to determine what you can get. If you've only got Petsmart, the only good brands there are Blue Buffalo and ByNature is ok. PetCo has Wellness (I really like the Core because it's grain-free), Natural Balance (but only the blue bag, the rest are all too grain-heavy), Solid Gold, and Pinnacle.

If you can find a doggy boutique store, then your options open up a bit more. Orijen and Innova Evo are two of the best grain-free foods on the market and usually only carried in these stores. I hear Timberwolf is good, along with Fromm and California Natural as well.

And remember, if you're going to switch her foods, take about 2 weeks of mixing the two foods together (75% of the old, 25% of the new to start) so as not to have any digestive upset.

How old is Isabella?

·
Registered
474 Posts
You are asking the 100,000 dollar question! Pick a price range you want to spend then ask. Pick either raw or kibble, pick with or without grain, then ask. Otherwise you are opening a can of worms in here! Way too many choices and opinions.

My reccomendations for kibble

High price Orijen ~$60 per 29.7 lbs bag
Abady grannular ~$63 for a 40 lb. box - great stuff contrary to what you may read

Mid-range Natural Balance, Taste of the Wild Grain free,

Low price but good Kirkland Lamb, Rice and Vegetable (available at Costco).

Good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Beneful is awful! That being said, I'd say it depends on what is available in your area to determine what you can get. If you've only got Petsmart, the only good brands there are Blue Buffalo and ByNature is ok. PetCo has Wellness (I really like the Core because it's grain-free), Natural Balance (but only the blue bag, the rest are all too grain-heavy), Solid Gold, and Pinnacle.

If you can find a doggy boutique store, then your options open up a bit more. Orijen and Innova Evo are two of the best grain-free foods on the market and usually only carried in these stores. I hear Timberwolf is good, along with Fromm and California Natural as well.

And remember, if you're going to switch her foods, take about 2 weeks of mixing the two foods together (75% of the old, 25% of the new to start) so as not to have any digestive upset.

How old is Isabella?

she's 1 year and 1/2

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Okay yeah so any of those brands would be fine for her. What sort of stores do you have in your area?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Okay yeah so any of those brands would be fine for her. What sort of stores do you have in your area?
walmart, petsmart, petco ( petsmart and petco are 2 hrs away but worth the drive if hey have good dog food) and a local petstore lol. well and target too. this town i live in is kind of small and hopeless lol but i think there is a good petstore in the next town also, i dont know what they have, since we got an ad from it recently and havent checked it out

L

·
0 Posts
I have to agree that Beneful is awful, and I'm glad you want to get Isabella off that food and on something better. All of the brands mentioned above are much much better than Beneful.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have to agree that Beneful is awful, and I'm glad you want to get Isabella off that food and on something better. All of the brands mentioned above are much much better than Beneful.

yea i heard it wasn't a good brand so i looked into it more and ask for advice :D

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Lol sounds like the town I used to live in! Check your local store, if they don't have any of those brands, then I'd say either make the drive to the Petsmart or Petco or you can always order it online too. But then you usually get charged an arm and a leg for shipping. It's probably more worth it to drive and stock up than order off the internet.

Avoid any of the food you can find in Walmart and Target unless you find it in the butcher section :wink:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lol sounds like the town I used to live in! Check your local store, if they don't have any of those brands, then I'd say either make the drive to the Petsmart or Petco or you can always order it online too. But then you usually get charged an arm and a leg for shipping. It's probably more worth it to drive and stock up than order off the internet.

Avoid any of the food you can find in Walmart and Target unless you find it in the butcher section :wink:
cool thanks :D yea shipping stuff is so expensive.
and what about pedigree brand?

·
Registered
474 Posts
I would not reccomend any dog food that you can buy in a local food market. It's cheap, and nasty - unfortunately.

Stick with Tractor Supply for Taste of the Wild brand - there are some good Diamond products but stay with their Natural line.

No Iams, pukanuba, purina, kibbles and bits, ol roy, pedigree, etc.

Sorry but these brands are junk and can cause all sorts of problems with dogs.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have had great results with evo red meat and blue buffalo wilderness but pricey

·
Registered
195 Posts
No Iams, pukanuba, purina, kibbles and bits, ol roy, pedigree, etc.
Pukanuba! Hahaha That's funny!!!

Radicalsam - it sounds like you live in a place like Clovis! I lived there (once upon a time) and they had nothing! They still don't have much - but Tractor supply.

I think that PetCo or PetSmart would be worth the drive for you - just stock up when you go.

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
474 Posts
I must confess - back in my younger days I fed Pedigree. My dog lived over 13 years. Thank goodness for good genetics! LOL

Tractor Supply around here carries Taste of the Wild and other Diamond brands.

·
Registered
257 Posts
feed stores are pretty good for having the high quality kibbles

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Unless they're in Elko (rural NV), then the best thing they carry is Nutro. The horrors!

·
Registered
257 Posts
eh yuck. i think when you have that as one of your only choices...time to research raw ;)

i am so anti nutro they were hurting my boy's tummy

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Oh I hate Nutro, I personally know of at least 6 dogs including my own, my brother's, and my friend's (who ironically is a Nutro rep). My mom still lives in Elko and has me import either Blue Buffalo or Kirkland brand for her from Reno whenever I come to visit. She won't do raw because it's too inconvenient for her and she doesn't really care nearly as much about her dogs as I care about mine. To each their own I suppose.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts