Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1-i have been feeding my dog Canidae for a few years but i have read online its no longer a premium food due to a formula change. i want my dog to eat the BEST so im thinking of changing. is it true canidae is no longer the best. his tummy also rumbles a lot and he farts so i guess the grains are bad? i feed him ALS. with grains.

2- i know that innova was part of the recall, and canidae was never recalled. was wellness ever recalled? im considering switching to wellness core(not regular wellness since that's only 22 percent protein and has less meat than canidae and has grains too) i will not pay top dollar for a food that has ever been recalled and that is one of the reasons i chose canidae.(and i know for a fact innova has been recalled so don't say it hasn't been)

3-i was under the impression that dogs should be fed a ''wolf'' like diet. this means mostly meat,no grains,and high protein. yet i see a lot of people saying high protein is bad for dogs? i have a 6 year old turning 7 golden retriever. he is 75 pounds and is in great health. i was thinking of starting him on wellness core in the summer when hes more active. hes obviously a large breed dog annd ive heard that proteins bad for them.

4-i was thinking of switching him to wellness core. is this a better food than canidae?
I noticed the first two ingredients in wellness core are pure meats, where as canidae only uises meat meals as their meats and has 5 different meat meals. meat meals are all meat where as pure meats are only 20 percent meat after the water is taken out to make it kibble. however wellness core has more protein which im assuming means there is still more meat weight since there is less grains?
i dont think id like to switch to regular wellness since it looks inferior to canidae. wellness core looks like the best.(next to orijon red which is not worth the drive for a limited quantity food )
is canidae still the premium food that is once was or should i fork over the extra money for wellness core? i want my dog to be 40 before he dies =p. i cant imagine him living less than 15 years lol.
i believe in feeding the dogs the wolf diet so i think wellness core would be good for him.
oh and also my dogs arms shake a lot when hes sitting down. the vet didnt know why this was and im not sure.

heres a video of my dog if anyone would liek to see him to give better adivce.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpv_9vD8DjQ

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Do NOT be afraid of high protein for dogs! People are taught to believe if they give the dogs high protein their will be kidney damage. NOT TRUE! Dogs do extremely well on a high protein diet. Dogs are meat eaters so high protein is not problem.
If you feed your dog a high quality, meat-based diet, just as nature intended, your dog will thrive. Do not fear feeding a High Protein Food!

I particularly do not feed Canidae since their recalls in 2007 and whenever they were! I do though like Orijen and Wellness core is great! My dogs right now are doing very well on the Ocean and the weight management!

Hmmm I didnt know Innova had recalls I have to look this up!

also I loved the video of you with you dog! He's your best friend and it shows! How cute loved it!:biggrin:

Go to Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble Great food choices here!

Reactions: RCTRIPLEFRESH5

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Do NOT be afraid of high protein for dogs! People are taught to believe if they give the dogs high protein their will be kidney damage. NOT TRUE! Dogs do extremely well on a high protein diet. Dogs are meat eaters so high protein is not problem.
If you feed your dog a high quality, meat-based diet, just as nature intended, your dog will thrive. Do not fear feeding a High Protein Food!

I particularly do not feed Canidae since their recalls in 2007 and whenever they were! I do though like Orijen and Wellness core is great! My dogs right now are doing very well on the Ocean and the weight management!

Hmmm I didnt know Innova had recalls I have to look this up!

also I loved the video of you with you dog! He's your best friend and it shows! How cute loved it!:biggrin:

Go to Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble Great food choices here!
the only thing that concerns me with wellness core is iy has fillers liike tomato pomace!
thanks i had fun making that video!!
orijon regional red looks very impressive, but ive heard that its usually delivered once a month a and snatched off of the shelves in minutes. the only place that sells it is atleast an hour away. so if it were gone that would suck!! although their regular formulas(adult and 6 fish look great too)
still idk if its worth the cost and drive when im sure wellness core is sold at the place ibuy canidae.
also i dont know why people would choose fish over meats like chicken and lamb? in fact ive always been confused on why to choose one meat over another. i see canidae with just chicken and lamb,yet the formula i buy has 5 meats. i would think that would be great.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I sent you a PM with my suggestion as to what it sounds like you're really looking for when you keep mentioning the "wolf" diet :smile:

·
Registered
97 Posts
1-i have been feeding my dog Canidae for a few years but i have read online its no longer a premium food due to a formula change. i want my dog to eat the BEST so im thinking of changing. is it true canidae is no longer the best. his tummy also rumbles a lot and he farts so i guess the grains are bad? i feed him ALS. with grains.

2- i know that innova was part of the recall, and canidae was never recalled. was wellness ever recalled? im considering switching to wellness core(not regular wellness since that's only 22 percent protein and has less meat than canidae and has grains too) i will not pay top dollar for a food that has ever been recalled and that is one of the reasons i chose canidae.(and i know for a fact innova has been recalled so don't say it hasn't been)

3-i was under the impression that dogs should be fed a ''wolf'' like diet. this means mostly meat,no grains,and high protein. yet i see a lot of people saying high protein is bad for dogs? i have a 6 year old turning 7 golden retriever. he is 75 pounds and is in great health. i was thinking of starting him on wellness core in the summer when hes more active. hes obviously a large breed dog annd ive heard that proteins bad for them.

4-i was thinking of switching him to wellness core. is this a better food than canidae?
I noticed the first two ingredients in wellness core are pure meats, where as canidae only uises meat meals as their meats and has 5 different meat meals. meat meals are all meat where as pure meats are only 20 percent meat after the water is taken out to make it kibble. however wellness core has more protein which im assuming means there is still more meat weight since there is less grains?
i dont think id like to switch to regular wellness since it looks inferior to canidae. wellness core looks like the best.(next to orijon red which is not worth the drive for a limited quantity food )
is canidae still the premium food that is once was or should i fork over the extra money for wellness core? i want my dog to be 40 before he dies =p. i cant imagine him living less than 15 years lol.
i believe in feeding the dogs the wolf diet so i think wellness core would be good for him.
oh and also my dogs arms shake a lot when hes sitting down. the vet didnt know why this was and im not sure.

heres a video of my dog if anyone would liek to see him to give better adivce.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpv_9vD8DjQ

Anyone who thinks high protein is harmful needs to read up on the updated science. Protein does nothing bad for a dog, it decreases the chance of muscle injury and helps them retain muscle mass especially in their senior years. it's the most important nutrient in dog food. We LOVE Wellness CORE.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Innova has never been recalled.

I know that Canidae recently changed their formula and a lot of dogs got sick and a lawsuit has been filed against them, I dont see that much of a difference in ingridients so I'm suprised how many dogs got violently sick and even died from it. I wonder if some of those complaints are false in order to scare people away from buying better quality foods. But its enough to make me steer clear of it.

High protein is fine as long as your dog can handle it, some dogs have sensitive stomachs and even with transition period they keep having bad gas, diarhhea and other digestive issues, it usually goes away with something a bit lower in protein.
I do not think that an average household pet should be on something as high as 40-42% protein, unless they have a hard time keeping weight on or are extremely active, otherwise they tend to put on weight.
I have a pretty active dog, but he still put on weight with Orijen, so I went with acana provincial which is 33-34% protein.

Wellness core is a good choice though, make sure to switch over slowly.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Canidae really isn't a bad food, it just had a bunch of dogs get sick off of it when they changed their formula and didn't tell anyone about it, so that's probably why you're hearing it isn't so great anymore. Truth be told it was never "the best food on the market" but it is pretty decent. You could also look into their grain-free formulas.

Orijen is one of my favorite brands of foods but probably not worth the 1 hour trip to get to it. Wellness Core was ok for my dog and there's no reason not to get the petco pals card so you can buy 10 bags and get the 11th free too. If you go to the Wellness website and sign up for their emails, they'll send you a coupon every month or so but it isn't always for the food.

You could also try TOTW, Horizon Legacy, and Nature's Variety Instinct.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I know that Canidae recently changed their formula and a lot of dogs got sick and a lawsuit has been filed against them, I dont see that much of a difference in ingridients so I'm suprised how many dogs got violently sick and even died from it. I wonder if some of those complaints are false in order to scare people away from buying better quality foods. But its enough to make me steer clear of it.
Where is all this info? I wanna read!!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
939 Posts
To repeat what everyone else has been saying...don't worry about the high protein foods. My dog ONLY did well on a high protein kibble. Up until the last couple of weeks he was on Wellness for the majority of his life. Wellness puppy until about 10 months old then straight to Wellness Core. I did try some other foods randomly just to see how he would do, but I always found myself going back to the Core. Never tried Orijen though....wanted to, just never got to it. That Regional Red sounds awesome though. :biggrin:

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Canidae really isn't a bad food, it just had a bunch of dogs get sick off of it when they changed their formula and didn't tell anyone about it, so that's probably why you're hearing it isn't so great anymore. Truth be told it was never "the best food on the market" but it is pretty decent. You could also look into their grain-free formulas.

Orijen is one of my favorite brands of foods but probably not worth the 1 hour trip to get to it. Wellness Core was ok for my dog and there's no reason not to get the petco pals card so you can buy 10 bags and get the 11th free too. If you go to the Wellness website and sign up for their emails, they'll send you a coupon every month or so but it isn't always for the food.

You could also try TOTW, Horizon Legacy, and Nature's Variety Instinct.
well i dont appreciate a company switching formulas without letting their loyal customers know. they dont even change the bags. this is unethical for a variety of reasons
1-we all know you cant just go from one food formulation to another without a weeks worth of transitioning. maybe 4 days of transitioning but some transition must occur!!! canidae didnt care!!
2-we pay around 1.50 per pound for canidae so we would like to know when the quality of our food goes down!!!
3-its just trashy of the company not to inform us, especially when it impacts our dogs. i guess my dog is a genetic prodigee or i started him out on canidae after the formula change(dont think i did?) but he didnt seem effected unless i am not remembering so well..sune 2008 is a long time ago. i can barely remember what i ate for breakfast these days.

another reason i want to switch off of canidae is because i dont like diamond foods. i am not a fan of taste of the wild .

right now i am SET IN MY MIND that i am switching. i have a promotion with my supplier if i buy 12 bags of canidae i get a 13th free. i have bought 11(have bag 11 unopened just bought it yesterday) so i will buy bag 12 and get 13 for free. then i will switch to wellness core!!! should i bother using canidae grain free for bags 12 and 13? or should i just buy two more regular canidae bags rather than switching from regular canidae to grain free,and then to wellness core?

i see this two ways. i can either just go from canidae grain to wellness core and not transition more than i need to.
or i can make one more transitions and go from reg canidae to canidae grain free to wellness core..and although ill be doing one extra transition stage, i will give my dog a ''trial'' on grain free before shoving out the huge bucks on core.

what do you guys think? im definitely gonna wait to switch to the wellness though, especially because i want to wait until my dog is more active in the summer as opposed to now that he is sedentary.

the reason i consider canidae my personal favorite food is because from my knowledge of dog foods it appears to have the most meat of any food ive seeen even orijen.9well maybe not orijen but close) all of canidaes meat sources are in meal forms. it also has 5 different types of meats. the first 3 ingredients are all meals. wellness core has water inclusive emats as its first.
yet it has more protein..and no grains so im not sure if it maybe is better ha.who knows!:mad:

·
Registered
939 Posts
well i dont appreciate a company switching formulas without letting their loyal customers know. they dont even change the bags. this is unethical for a variety of reasons
I totally agree and honestly that would probably make me want to switch brands as well.

right now i am SET IN MY MIND that i am switching. i have a promotion with my supplier if i buy 12 bags of canidae i get a 13th free. i have bought 11(have bag 11 unopened just bought it yesterday) so i will buy bag 12 and get 13 for free. then i will switch to wellness core!!! should i bother using canidae grain free for bags 12 and 13? or should i just buy two more regular canidae bags rather than switching from regular canidae to grain free,and then to wellness core?
If I were you I would make the switch to the grain free variety now. Yes, you will have to switch him twice, but IMO the benefits of going to a grain free, high protein kibble outweigh the trouble of transitioning the dog over. Also adding some probiotics can help make the switch a little easier on his gastrointestinal tract. :smile: Just out of curiousity...how long does one of the bags you buy last anyway?

the reason i consider canidae my personal favorite food is because from my knowledge of dog foods it appears to have the most meat of any food ive seeen even orijen.9well maybe not orijen but close) all of canidaes meat sources are in meal forms. it also has 5 different types of meats. the first 3 ingredients are all meals. wellness core has water inclusive emats as its first.
yet it has more protein..and no grains so im not sure if it maybe is better ha.who knows!:mad:
Just because a food has only meals in doesn't necessarily mean that it contains more meat. It all depends on how much of the meal they put in there compared to the other ingredients. Also Wellness does use meals in their Core, just not the first on the list. General rule of thumb: meats that still have their water content are just fine so long as they're backed up by a meal.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Meat is 80% water, meat meal is meat with water and fat removed.
Truthfully if the meat is listed as the first ingridient, it really isnt because of all the water (ingridients are listed prior to extruding). So its perfectly fine if the first ingridient is a named meat meal (ex chicken meal, lamb meal) and even though some manufacturers will list it like this:

chicken, chicken meal, potatoes.. etc
it actually looks more like this:

chicken meal, potatoes, chicken.

Heres a link to Canidae lawsuit info and consumer affairs complaints:
Canidae Pet Food Class Action Investigation

Consumer complaints about CANIDAE Pet Foods

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Meat is 80% water, meat meal is meat with water and fat removed.
Meal is the ground up reminants of the carcass after the human usuable meat and by-products have been removed. A much lower quality protein than just meat. It is not dehydrated meat. There is actually very little meat/lb in meal. Of course the manufacturers want you to think differently.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Whats the deal RFD, are you leaving us?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Tomato pumace is primarliy a filler.

I found this thread below from TOTW foods~

Tomato pomace is a controversial ingredient... by-product left over after the processing of tomatoes into juice, soup and ketchup.

Many praise tomato pomace for its high fiber and nutrient content… while others scorn it as a cheap pet food filler laden with pesticides found on the skin of the tomato before processing.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
You seem to be here less and less, just trying to get the real answers.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
You seem to be here less and less, just trying to get the real answers.
Hehe, I'm not leaving until someone kicks me out. LOL I have had some more stuff going on in my real life and have been away from home a little more lately. Also, I don't post every time I'm here. Maybe I'm just posting less. Seems there are people here who can answer a lot of the questions I normally answer and thats a good thing. :)

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
well I miss you!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Hehe, I'm not leaving until someone kicks me out. LOL I have had some more stuff going on in my real life and have been away from home a little more lately. Also, I don't post every time I'm here. Maybe I'm just posting less. Seems there are people here who can answer a lot of the questions I normally answer and thats a good thing. :)
It's funny... we were just talking about this the other night. Figured you were taking time off now that you have more people to help you carry the load :wink:

1 - 20 of 134 Posts