Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started fostering for a collie rescue and Sunday I get my first foster from them! His name is Major. He is a sable and white rough collie, 9 yrs old. He lived with another collie out in the back yard and didnt get much (maybe no) socialization. The two dogs belonged to an elderly man who had to go to the nursing home. The two dogs were split up and sent to two different rescues.

This poor ol guy lost his family, home, and his brother in one day. I feel so sad for him. He is at a temporary foster home until the can get him to me. His temp foster mom said that he is so out of sorts and sad. he wants to sit in a room by himself in the corner with his head down. He rarely wants anything to do with other dogs or humans. I am sure I can get him to come out of his shell. This lady also has 12 forever dogs. And she thinks the house is just too overwhelming for him with the barking (10 shelties, 2 collies!) hopefully here with my two guys he will come out of his shell.

Does anyone have any tips for me to get him to blossom? No one will want to adopt an old, sad collie :(

I think a good walk and a regular daily schedule alone will work wonders. just to start to get stability in his life.

Oh, and he doesnt want to eat! I am sure it is due to stress. his temp foster mom has tried all sorts of stuff and can only get him to eat a bite or two!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Hope I can be of some help! We have been fostering Danes for a while now and have been working with the Dane rescue for a few years.

It sounds to me like his temp foster home is not a good, ideal home for him and that is why he is all out of sorts. As soon as he feels more comfortable and at ease in a mellower environment, ie...your home, I think he will start to feel better and eat. Dogs will not eat when they are super stressed out.

I think you should wait til you meet him face to face and give him a few days before you ask for advice on what to do, because right now you don't have an accurate reading on this guy. Get to know who he really is and get a feel for what you think he needs improvement on. I have a feeling that he will feel much better when he is in your hands :biggrin:

Trying too hard to feed a dog can sometimes be a step in the wrong direction, and make them even more stressed. What I have done is offer the foster dog food, on his/her own without any interaction from anyone and given them about 15 minutes to figure it out. If they haven't eaten I will wait to feed them until the next feeding time. They tend to get the hang of things pretty darn fast...especially when they are left alone to figure it out. I have noticed that a lot of dogs don't want to be bothered when eating, or the exact opposite. It might just take you sitting in a room with him alone for a bit for him to feel comfortable eating. Just try both and see what works, but I wouldn't baby him or try really hard to get him to eat.

Good luck and let us know how he is doing!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks! :)

i will keep you posted!

I do need good vibes sent my way though. a snow storm might be coming this weekend, and I am not sure if transport will be possible. then he would have to wait another week before coming to me.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
That's such a sad, story. I'm so glad you are getting a chance to work with him. I really feel for the older dogs, having had so many senior animals myself. I would really work on letting him have a nice, warm place in the house where he can just be with you and relax but not be overwhelmed. When I would work with people at the vets, the first thing I would have to remind them is to let the animals have as much quiet time as they wanted. Maybe put a bed for him in the family room where you watch tv so he can just be with you on his own terms and get used to your presence.

My sons new rescue was a totally outdoor dog that lived in a backyard with it's brother. It didn't take him too long to love being snuggled up on the couch! The only problem we still have is lifting his leg indoors so you will have to watch out for that. It's taken quite a while to get him to go outdoors reliably and when he comes over to my house we have to send him straight to the backyard first so he can mark the whole back yard before he comes inside. Otherwise he will lift his leg on my sofa first thing. Good luck with the new boy and its a great thing you are doing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts