Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
The title says it all, yes I can confirm that I am completely nuts :biggrin:

I am a full-time student and home school four of my children!

I joined this forum to try and gather the courage to switch Token and Seth to raw. I have been feeding the cats and ferrets raw for 2 years now but for some reason it scares me feeding raw to puppies, although Token is almost a year so not so much physically a puppy.

I have to explain Token's name cause it's not what you are thinking :wink: I never understood when people would say they had a "heart dog." Then I found mine. His name was Bo and he was a Rott. My ex didn't know what a BYB was and bought Bo for me from a pet store. There is a huge long story behind Bo and I'll post it later but in a nutshell Bo ended up with IBD due to having Giardia for 10 months despite numerous testing. Finally figured it out by having a blood test done, which came back positive. I had to put Bo to sleep in Feb 2009 and it about killed me... just broke my heart. Token was named what he was because he is a token of my healing heart, of my desire to love again and bond with another puppy.

Seth ... what can I say. He is the best puppy I have ever met! I used to train dogs, just basic obedience, and he is awesome! My finance has been after me for the last two years to get a hound and I kept putting him off. Never could find a breeder that I liked or felt comfortable with. Fate had another plan.

Two days ago my sister and I saw a lady (mind you it was 95 degrees that day) outside of a store with two puppies. I really do know to NEVER look when it says free puppy/kitty. Honestly I do but I didn't and I looked. My sister had "the look" I said NO and dragged her away. When we were leaving we noticed the lady walking away with the box. I thought she had given them away so I asked. Nope she said and she told me she was going to the pound with them :mad:

They came home with us instead. Vet says 6-8 weeks. I do not think they were weaned as they keep trying to "nurse" off of Token who isn't sure about that whole thing!

I love to make video's so here are two if you care to watch.
Bo's memorial video
Bo the WonderRott 2006 ~ 2009 at One True Media - share slideshows, slide shows, Facebook slideshows, free video sharing, video montages.

Video of Token, Seth and Sadie (sisters pup)
Seth and Sadie at One True Media - share slideshows, slide shows, Facebook slideshows, free video sharing, video montages.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Welcome!! Well, I have 3 dogs, plus 2 fosters, and 4 ferrets, and two rats so yur not alone in the "crazy" department :p LOL well, maybe with the 7 kids... (although I'm a preschool teacher and someday I feel like I have 10 at least) haha!
Personally, I think raw feeding dogs is soooo much easier than the ferrets. Just about all of the concepts are the same. The switch itself is easier (darn those picky ferrets!), most dogs take to it rigt away, the others you have to out stubborn, but they catch on very quickly.

Welcome to the forum! There's a lot of good information here, I hope to see you around! :)

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Hi and Welcome!!
What is it about Rotts, that seem to always be our Soul Mates. I had to put my Zeus down last Aug due to Osteoscarcoma. I know when my husband found Khan, I could have cared less about him. We were sent pictures from the breeder as he was growing before picking him up. I wanted nothing to do with him. Can you imagine, seeing pictures of a puppy and not caring. LOL
I love your thought process for Token's name. It is so great.
You will find soo many helpful people here, I'm sure your mind will be put at ease on the whole raw feeding thing.
Good luck and keep the pics/videos coming!

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Welcome to the forum, sorry about your rott, the video made me cry....You'll find many, many helpful outlets here. And if your from WA we have a great raw feeding co-op that is wonderful and a few here on the boards from WA that belong to it.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! :biggrin:

I too lost my beloved Rottie back in January to bone cancer. Deciding when to put him down was the hardest thing I have ever done so far in my life. He was my doggie soul mate and I miss him so much. I am so sorry to hear about your Rottie. You are not alone with how you are feeling.

Again, welcome. It's nice to have you here! :biggrin:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And if your from WA we have a great raw feeding co-op that is wonderful and a few here on the boards from WA that belong to it.
I have been trying to figure out how the co-op's work and well it made my head hurt lol

The ferrets and cats currently get pork, chicken, turkey, bison and lamb. I can afford to do that with them because they do not eat as much. With Token and Seth the cost would be pretty high for the bison and lamb.

We do have a limited source for meat. Our neighbor butchers her cows and gives us meat, organs, and livers. We also get eggs from her but she doesn't butcher her chickens or ducks. We live on an acre of land so we are thinking of starting our own chicken, duck and maybe rabbit groups for butchering.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Where in WA do you live? Once you figure out the WA/OR co-op that is part of Yahoo groups which you have to join, you'll be glad you did.

We get a great amount of variety available to us, llama, venison, emu, rabbit and great beef, all of these products are grass fed/hormone free meat. If you really need help with info joining, send me a PM and I'll give you some pointers.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Hello and welcome! We have four girls now and another Dane pup on the way! We are all a bit crazy around here though so you'll fi right in LOL

We also raw feed all of our animals, we have two cats as well.

Don't hesitate to ask any and all questions!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts