Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my other post (can't find it) I mentioned after a month of feeding only chicken I was going to introduce pork. I have been doing the transition "by the book" because I was one of those feeders who adopted the "whatever" attitude of experienced raw feeders and it was bad. Jody started with about 2 ounces of pork Sunday night and is up to about 4 ounces with her morning chicken back. Her stool may be a tad bit slimy, not mucousy, and firm. Is a little "slimy" ok? Should I cut back and go even slower? She doesn't have diarrhea and is only going poop twice a day so I don't think she is in distress.

Tami

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
you're still feeding backs, right?

my dogs went through a period of mucousy slimy kind of poops....

in hindsight, i think it was a detoxing.....

not every poop is going to be ahem picture perfect...LOL

when i feed malia beef heart for a meal, her stool is dark and loose.....i know then to feed her a boney meal for her next meal and we're six months into this.

the beginning is the getting used to part.....if the stool is loose, give more bone. if the stool is too chalky, give less bone...

it doesn't sound as if the pork is hurting her at all.....keep feeding the backs with the new intro of pork...and pork is fattier, even the loin....so you will want to feed pork for a meal and combine it with chicken for a week or so...

when i feed pork now...if it's butt or shoulder or even ribs...i will follow it with a less fatty meal...but mostly for malia, since she doesn't do as well with fatty foods and i think it's cause she's older.

every dog is the same and different, does that make sense?

the stool, her eyes, her demeanour tell the story..and it's a meal by meal, day by day thing...just like us.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
A little slimey is fine, but I would not feed pork again for a few days. Then add another meal of pork in. You should really strive for feeding a different protein source every day of the week if you can, with one "staple" protein like chicken which makes up a good deal of the diet.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Natalie,

Jody gets a nice variety of proteins. Over the last 4 days she has had bone in split chicken breasts, backs, quarter, turkey thighs, and a gradual introduction of pork. I am just giving a little bit of pork at a time since it is a new protein. Jody is getting plenty of variety.

Tami

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
It's good that you are feeding plenty of variety. But what I'm saying is, you shouldn't have to feed a small amount of pork each day to get her used to it, this is probably why you're seeing looser stool. Give Jody a few days off of it and then give it again, even if it is a small amount. Then in a few days give another, gradually increasing the amount each time. What you want to strive for is getting her capable of handling a full meal of nothing but pork.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
oops, then i guess i did it wrong.....
because that's how i intro'd everything....little tiny bits and then build it up to a meal....

only time i get loose stools now is malia and beef heart...well, and the occasional overfeeding....believe me, i smack myself each time, natalie, as i clean it up..LOL

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Ok...it's the right thing to do by adding things into the diet in small amounts, I'm not suggesting doing the contrary. Other than initially with chicken you don't want to feed the same newly introduced protein source each day for any length of time, especially if it's a rich one like pork. What I'm trying to say (but apparently failing LOL) when adding pork...don't feed it more than once every few days in the beginning. Definitely start with small amounts and increase as tolerance to it has been built up. Does that make more sense?

For example, with our new puppy. I have been feeding her chicken wings and drumsticks for the last week and a half. Two days ago I gave her a first, small meal of fish (she gets 4-5 small meals during the day) and didn't see any change in stools. Today I gave her another meal of fish. You see, I took a day off of the new protein source for a chance to see how her body reacted. If I see any change to stools I will wait another day or two to add another fish meal in.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
i can see what you're saying....and that makes sense...it's not the way i did it LOL, but it makes sense.

for me, it seemed to be a tolerance thing.....as long as they had that chicken back, then i could intro a new protein.....and then as long as the stools stayed solid....i could then start to mix and match.

each new protein for my dogs lasted two weeks....so chicken backs and then chicken backs and chicken meat
turkey necks and chicken meat
chicken backs and turkey meat
turkey necks and turkey meat
chicken backs and pork a.m. and chicken p.m.
turkey necks and pork and chicken
pork and i forget now...

but, then again, i now feed three or four proteins a day....because malia does react to too much fat.....give her beef heart as a meal and she loves it.

give it twice....
and it doesn't love her.

so she gets her beef heart with chicken gizzards and maybe half a back....

bubba, i think, is more typical....but with malia, i've become very cautious due to her age and her reaction to rich and fatty....i think she's fine and healthy....

we are going into our sixth month and on monday she will hopefully have her first kidney...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts