Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we started on the raw diet this past Saturday and things are going great :biggrin:

Had an issue the first few days because Koda thought the chicken backs were too big so I had to cut them in half but I tried a whole one yesterday and he gobbled it up. I think he just needed to get use to it.

Stools look good and he is LOVING the food. I'm struggling a bit trying to figure out how much to feed. I'm afraid that it's not enough but he needs to lose some weight so I'm good for now.

Looking for a freezer now but I've seen some good deals on Craigslist.

Thank you to everyone on this forum for helping me to decide to make this switch - and Koda says 'thanks' too!

- Jean

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Thanks for the update! Glad to hear that all is going well so far.

Don't worry too much on quantity for now, less is better in the beginning since some people end up feeding way too much and their dogs get sick. You will soon become an expert in eyeballing the ideal amount for a meal. If you feel that he is too thin or too thick, just feed more or less respectively. Our dogs definitely fluctuate within a few pounds of body weight and we just adjust their rations accordingly. Remember that a skinny dog is a healthy dog. A lot of people tell us our dogs look like they are starving to death since they can see their ribs, but most people have a very skewed idea of what a healthy dog should look like.

Keep us updated on his progress!!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Glad to hear things are going well! I am new too, almost 2 months in and going pretty well also:biggrin:

I went to walmart and got a scale in the kitchen section for $8.00. I am using that to help me out a bit _ seems I was probably feeding a bit too much ;)

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have been feeding raw now for over two weeks, Diesel has been doing great. I started feeding more and he has gained back the weight he lost. The scale from Walmart is a good idea. I will look for one next time I am there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts