Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would share this ecological display of the nature of Danes. It clearly seems that Great Danes have a strong aversion to the floor. Enough so that they are willing to pile on top of one another to keep away from it. The dog beds are just not quite enough for them LOL :biggrin:

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
haha, I LOVE it, thanks for sharing.
And that settles it, we WILL have a Dane.
Great, time to do breeder research....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad you are joining us in the cult-like lifestyle of owning a Dane LOL

Check out rescues...the one we volunteer for adopts out to NV. There are great dogs in there that come in on a regular basis. The black dane in this photo is actually a foster that is just staying with us until he finds a forever home.

Adopt a Great Dane in Colorado - Rocky Mountain Great Dane Rescue

BUT!!! I will say, that even though rescuing a dane is a courageous thing to do....nothing beats watching a Dane puppy grow up. Raising a Dane from puppyhood is just one thing that you have to do at least once in your lifetime. I can't put into words how they touch your life and bond to you. Guess you can relate because of the bond you have with Grissom :wink:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I just had to go to the site you posted and read each photo and story. It's amazing how many Danes are in that rescue organization. I've never even considered a Dane and it made me want one! I will never understand how people can give up a member of the family like that but hopefully someone will resue those babies and take them into a new home soon.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just had to go to the site you posted and read each photo and story. It's amazing how many Danes are in that rescue organization. I've never even considered a Dane and it made me want one! I will never understand how people can give up a member of the family like that but hopefully someone will resue those babies and take them into a new home soon.
Its definitely something that I don't understand one bit. The foster that we have now, he's not on the site yet, is a total sweetie.

He is skin and bones, only weighing 108 when he should weigh closer to 140. He does have food aggression, but I think that is because he is starving and doesn't want others to take his food away. Poor guy. He has been pretty sick since he's been with us...only two days now. We woke up in the middle of the night to "cannon butt" all over the kitchen and he has been vomiting all last night and today.

Makes me sad and angry that someone would let this, or any, dog get to this condition. I really hope he finds a forever home soon. Any taker??? :wink:

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Makes me sad and angry that someone would let this, or any, dog get to this condition. I really hope he finds a forever home soon. Any taker??? :wink:
I hear CorgiPaws is looking to get a Dane :biggrin:

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I hear CorgiPaws is looking to get a Dane :biggrin:
Haha. You heard right.
I also heard CorgiPaws is unemployed at the moment and can not get another dog right now. :frown:

On the up side, pretty sure the Champster found his forever home, will know in a couple weeks... and it's within the family, too. My husband's dad. woooot.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, unfortunately there will always be plenty of Danes in rescue. Its sad but true.

·
Banned
539 Posts
I was talking to a lady the other day who volunteers at one of the rescue sites in my area. She was telling me that because of the economy, people aren't able to feed their dogs and are making hard decisions and unloading their dogs anywhere they think someone will take and feed them. One place they are doing this is at the dog parks, they open the gates drop them off then leave. She told me they are just overwhelmed and had to put down some dogs for the first time, ever. She said they were very sick and had no place to keep them. Sad day in our countries history. I am struggling and being a veteran I am pretty pissed off. I am a foreman and am being hurt big time by the illegal's, I work about 40 hours in a month. I also know 7 carpenters who have lost their houses. They all lost their jobs to illegal's. Illegal's work for what they are calling "training wages or piece work", which is usually below min wage. Anyway, this lady said they are in the panic mode because they are getting twice as many dogs in, as are being adopted. She told me she cries all the time. Sad day.....

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, our economy really isn't in great shape, but I think its starting to get a bit better. Fortunately in the Dane rescue, we have a pretty even turn around on dogs. I think we average 7 coming in and getting adopted per week. There are on average usually ~20-40 Danes up for adoption at one time.

Things will get better from here on, the power of positive thinking is a powerful thing.

L

·
0 Posts
Things will get better from here on, the power of positive thinking is a powerful thing.
I couldn't agree more!!

Are Great Danes generally very docile, good with people (including children) and other dogs? I don't know much about their natural temperament. I have met a few very sweet Danes at the dog parks.

But there is one Dane that does not play nice with other dogs and its owner has to keep him on a leash at the dog park. The owner of this Dane also has a pair of Weimeraners so wants to let the Weims run and play but keeps the Dane on a leash.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I couldn't agree more!!

Are Great Danes generally very docile, good with people (including children) and other dogs? I don't know much about their natural temperament. I have met a few very sweet Danes at the dog parks.

But there is one Dane that does not play nice with other dogs and its owner has to keep him on a leash at the dog park. The owner of this Dane also has a pair of Weimeraners so wants to let the Weims run and play but keeps the Dane on a leash.
Danes are not called "gentle giants" for nothin'! Most of them are just big love bugs and comedians LOL

This is a common issue with Great Danes, well with any dog really. They really are as gentle as can be, but if not socialized properly at a young age to all kinds of things they become super sensitive about them. And because they are so big and don't know that fact, they are very intimidating to other dogs and have a huge advantage with the "scare" factor in those situations. When those other dogs get fearful, they will defend themselves out of fear or run away. Danes in my experience love to play chase and will chase a scared dog. Even if they are not doing this aggressively, but just playfully.

Dogs are not born with the ability to communicate successfully, same as us. They are a pack animal an learn how to communicate with other dogs, by being around other dogs that they themselves know how to communicate...and this really has to start from birth.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Danes are not called "gentle giants" for nothin'! Most of them are just big love bugs and comedians LOL
The big problem with Danes and small children is their wagging tail is about face level with a small child. They can get a tail whallop in the face before you can stop it sometimes.

This is a common issue with Great Danes, well with any dog really. They really are as gentle as can be, but if not socialized properly at a young age to all kinds of things they become super sensitive about them.
Abby, who I rescued when she was a year old is like this. For some reason she doesn't like being around children. If they get too roudy or try to pet her on the top of the head, she will growl. She has never snapped or tried to bite but her growl can be very ferocious. I usually take her to the bedroom when she gets nervous around people visiting. She isn't nearly as bad outside.

And because they are so big and don't know that fact, they are very intimidating to other dogs and have a huge advantage with the "scare" factor in those situations.
I think Abby's favorite hobby is intimidating smaller dogs. She just LOVES to do this. :smile: She used to try it with Thor when he was a puppy but it never scared him. She would chase him, roll him when she caught him, whe would growl ferociously and bite him on the neck and throat. She would hold him down for about 2 minutes then let him back up. He would jump up and look at her like he was saying, "hey that was fun, let's do it again!!" and we would try to get her to chase him again. :biggrin: He never got hurt one time but this was a several times a day occurance for years until he got big enough that she couldn't catch him. Even then, he would slow down and wait for her sometimes. :smile:

Dogs are not born with the ability to communicate successfully, same as us. They are a pack animal an learn how to communicate with other dogs, by being around other dogs that they themselves know how to communicate...and this really has to start from birth.
Right. Thor was 12 weeks old when we got him and he doesn't have those traits that Abby does. He is so easy going sometimes I have to look clolsely to see if he's breathing. :smile:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so so so so so sweet! I love the way they (cough cough) fit hahahahaha on that love seat! Just way toooooooooooo CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:biggrin::biggrin:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just saw the pic. That is hilarious:biggrin: Made me LOL.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Oh my goodness look at that picture with the kitty this is so dog gone cute! I hope you framed this one you have to its so darn sweet! Awww that made my day thanks!:biggrin:
forgot the sleeping picture should be framed haha!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
OMG, I almost can't stand how stinkin' CUTE those are!! That is so adorable how they all cuddle together!! Ok, I gotta go get two more dogs and a cat! LOL!

Richelle

1 - 20 of 48 Posts