Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started feeding raw 2 weeks ago. Diet has been chicken only. Backs,leg qrts., and a few gizzards every now and then. So far so good.
I fed them their evening meal yesterday with deer meat. Lawdy, they scarfed it down. I guess they will taste it later:biggrin: Now, can I feed chicken in the a.m. and deer in the evening,very evening,or should I just feed the deer once a week and chicken the rest of the time??? I'm a little confused on this part. :confused:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I would wait to see the effect the deer meat has on their systems. That is wait to feed them until the poo next time round. If its solid then I would say it would be safe to feed them chicken again.

I would also hold off feeding the deer meat all at once. Unless you have an unlimited supply of it, I would keep the feeding of deer meat down to once a week if you can. If you have an unlimited supply (super jealousy if you did!) I guess it wouldn't matter how much you feed it to them. Although, variety in their diet is what you are striving for.

If your dogs handle the deer meat without issue, I would say that its safe to add in turkey too, and then of course the other types out there its just that turkey is an easy one for dogs to handle. Feed that once and see how they do.

Adding in new meat sources is a slow process. See how they handle it at first and go from there.

It really does help if you only feed a little bit of it at first, so a bit of the new meat source with chicken. So their entire meal isn't that new type of meat, so as not to shock their system totally.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it looks like I'm going to have alot of deer meat. Just got 30lbs. last night and other people I know that hunt are cleaning out their freezers.:biggrin: I might have to buy another freezer. I've put the word out for them to start saving me the "innerds."They most of the time leave them in the field where they gut them. (Organ meat)
I have a very hard time poop checking. I live on a farm and seldom see them poop. Most of the time they go out in the pasture. Every now and then I catch one in the act:smile:

danemama08
I would also hold off feeding the deer meat all at once. Unless you have an unlimited supply of it, I would keep the feeding of deer meat down to once a week if you can. If you have an unlimited supply (super jealousy if you did!) I guess it wouldn't matter how much you feed it to them. Although, variety in their diet is what you are striving for.

I guess the part that confuses me is, now that I don't have to stay with just chicken, how often can I feed something else in the evening? I will probably always give them a back or leg qrt. in the a.m. It's the evening meal that I'm wondering about.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Well, it looks like I'm going to have alot of deer meat. Just got 30lbs. last night and other people I know that hunt are cleaning out their freezers.:biggrin: I might have to buy another freezer. I've put the word out for them to start saving me the "innerds."They most of the time leave them in the field where they gut them. (Organ meat)
I have a very hard time poop checking. I live on a farm and seldom see them poop. Most of the time they go out in the pasture. Every now and then I catch one in the act:smile:

danemama08

I guess the part that confuses me is, now that I don't have to stay with just chicken, how often can I feed something else in the evening? I will probably always give them a back or leg qrt. in the a.m. It's the evening meal that I'm wondering about.
I would say that you have been on just chicken for a good amount of time now that you can start adding other meat sources in.

Since you have the deer meat available and fed it last night, start with adding that into their diet. Alternate meals chicken and deer (that is if they handle it ok). Feed that alternating meals with chicken for one week.

Then add in Turkey, alternating that with chicken for a week.

Then add in fish or pork the next week, and the week after, all the while alternating with chicken.

Then add in beef. Same as above.

That should pretty much take care of your bases as far as readily available meat sources. Unless you have another meat source that you can find on a regular basis, add that in as well using the same method. Once your dogs get used to each new kind of meat source, you should start feeding a different kind of meat source every night/day.

So your feeding schedule will be a different meat source each day...chicken, turkey, beef, pork, fish, deer, etc. That way you are not feeding the same thing everyday. Variety in the diet is key, the more the better.

As far as adding in organs...that is a bit trickier. Most dogs don't really like them (from what I have seen and heard and experienced). You might have to trick them into eating them, ie mixing them up with something they do like such as fish. Or freezing it and giving it to them frozen. Or just plain old shoving it down their throats (that is what we do with two or our dogs...they are so used to it now that they don't really put up a fight.

To add organ meat...I would start off VERY small. Only give a very small amount in a meal consisting of something else they are already used to like chicken, and only do that once a week. Do that for a while, althernating weeks of liver and kidney (the two most important organ sources). After a while you can start doing one liver meal and one kidney meal each week (if you are feeding ~2 meals a day, having 2 meals of organ per week equals ~14% organ in their diet-but keep in mind that you feed less organ by weight so it ends up being more like ~10% of their total meal percentages), so total of two organ meals a week. Remember that organ tissue is VERY rich, so not that much is needed for each meal...so, don't feed as much organ as you would say chicken or fish by weight.

Very important: you have to remember that balance in their diets takes place over time, not in each individual meal. Don't worry about %'s too much. Just feed some organ, some bone and mostly meat from as many sources as possible.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Natalie. That was very good info. I really would like to substitute deer for beef if possible. Beef is kinda expensive. Deer is free.:biggrin: Not sure if I should do that though.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Thanks Natalie. That was very good info. I really would like to substitute deer for beef if possible. Beef is kinda expensive. Deer is free.:biggrin: Not sure if I should do that though.
There's really no reason why you shouldn't...unless for some strange reason your dogs don't like it or are allergic to it (very unlikely!!!) :eek:

I would substitute if I could...

Are you located in a very small town or something? If you can find a butcher that will order in bulk for you, beef isn't too expensive that way. The main source of beef that we feed is beef heart. Some people consider it an organ, but it is muscle tissue so I consider it meat, not organ. It is much richer than most other meats out there, so if you find someplace that can supply you beef heart...start slow.

I posted a list of raw feeding co-ops in this forum, so you should look to see if any are close by.

ETA: co-op in TN!!!

MDTN_BARF : Middle Tennessee BARF

Don't know how close this is to you, but it might help! Doesn't look all that active, but you would be surprised at how active you could make it with just a jumpstart!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked at that co-op list. The only one close to me didn't seem to have a lot of action going on. I'll check into further.
I live in a rural part of Tn. Will have to check around about the butcher thing. I do get good prices on chicken at this little grocery, but I doubt I can on beef. But I'm going to start looking. Thanks alot.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
If, wait...WHEN, you check into your butcher...go there in person and speak to the manager directly. Don't call. Just go and talk to them face to face. Its pretty much the best and only way to set up a deal with them.

Also, post up on craigslist for freezer burned meat. We just scored nearly 100#'s in free meat...and I would say that 99% of it was pretty darn good stuff and of good variety. Lots of stew beef and chicken...Keep an add going on there and you might get weekly hits :biggrin:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts