Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Friday, Saturday, & Sunday will be our first foray into putting Zio in Obedience Trials at the CDX level. Apparently we are going against (stereo)type by putting a 2 1/2 yr old GSP into Obedience, let alone at the CDX level. :tongue:

If the opportunity presents itself (like maybe a qualifying ribbon? <lol>) I'll try to take some pix.

Please wish Pearce & Zio luck! :biggrin:

Thanx,

·
Banned
493 Posts
good luck! i'm sure he'll do great!:smile:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Kudos to you both! Good Luck and Best wishes!:smile:

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Day One...

Well, Zio ultimately NQ'd today.

MAJOR mistake (ultimately an NQ) was when the dumbbell was thrown out for him to retrieve over the jump, he ran around the jump, picked up the dumbbell, then calmly went over the jump back to Pearce, sat in front of him & presented the dumbbell. Nice finish with the characteristic Zio-super-jumping dog flourish. Apparently bemused looks were exchanged between the Judge & Pearce. He did qualify to attend Sits & Downs, however.

NQ: although he remained lying down during the down portion of the sits & downs, he thought he wasn't breaking any rules by crawling on his belly over to visit the next dog. Who, BTW, was a nice golden retriever who decided to SIT through the DOWNS. ;)

Meanwhile, despite our best efforts to try to show & run, officials caught wind of us having stewarded at other events & drafted us. (Considering we were sitting chatting at one of the back rows, we know someone must have ratted us out <lol>.)

I worked in the Utility Dog ring (which I'd never done before) while Pearce was next door at in Open. "Fortunately" we were saved from a full day's work by a prior engagement in Tampa. But not before we had to swear to come in early tomorrow to help. LOL!

Let's see what tomorrow brings...

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DAY 2
Agh. Stick me in the eye with a fork, it would be less painful!

Is that MY dog out there? Must be, because I see Pearce there too. Well, I guess that's what we get for volunteering to steward for a club that we don't even know. By arriving early to help out, Zio winds up being kenneled for most of the day. Can't do that to a high-energy hunting dog; they shut down. And that's exactly what Zio does.

Time for more practice when we get home…

DAY 3
What a difference a day (and no stewarding) makes! Zio & Pearce are performing quite well. Lots of good energy. :smile: At the conclusion of the individual exercises they qualify for Sits & Downs. The light is visible at the end of the tunnel!

Alas, the light at the end of the tunnel is a train speeding our way. During the Sits Zio obeys while Pearce is out of sight. After 3 minutes the handlers are brought back in. Before Pearce can get to him, Zio decides to go down on his belly to crawl over & visit with the GSP next to him. ("Hey, I just noticed you're a GSP too. Howareya?!")

The Judge seems genuinely apologetic as she excuses Zio from the Downs. I can hear Pearce admonishing Zio with a "for shame" as they leave the ring. <sigh>

OKAY CLASS... WHAT DID WE LEARN FROM ALL THIS?

1) Never crate a GSP longer than absolutely necessary, otherwise their brains will turn off & they will NOT listen or perform.

2) Work more with Zio @ home. Pearce was away for 2 weeks, during which time there was no practice. Despite ongoing CDX training at the Club for the last few months, I think we were being VERY optimistic thinking that would be enough of foundation to get a qualifying leg with only 4 days of actual work prior to the event (including one Dog Club session).

3) CDX is HARD. There were possibly only 4 qualifiers the whole three days. It's a big step, like Zio going into Amateur Gun Dog. And for him to get where he is in that he was sent to a Trainer for almost 8 weeks.

What a weekend...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts