Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Does anyone know of a quality kibble that has lower protein levels (20% - 18%)? I have an 8 1/2 month old Dobermann pup.

·
Registered
68 Posts
18% seems very low. Heck, I try to keep my dogs at around 26% or better. Is there a medical reason to feed such a low protein food?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The breeder suggested a lower protein because he is growing so fast and is extremely accident prone. Also because large breed puppies can get Pano (Long Bone) and have other developmental issues if they grow too fast. I appreciate the advice! Thanks!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
even if you have a large breed pup, that protein level is way too low, unless the dog has some debilitating reason and cannot process meat, it should be at least 25%, if you do feed something thats 18% than I cant imagine it being a good quality food, since its probably predominantly made of grains.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
The breeder suggested a lower protein because he is growing so fast and is extremely accident prone. Also because large breed puppies can get Pano (Long Bone) and have other developmental issues if they grow too fast. I appreciate the advice! Thanks!
18% is way too low. I would recommend AT LEAST 22% protein and 13% to 14% fat. I raised my Great Dane puppy on a prey model raw diet that is around 65% protein measured in dry weight. He is 4 1/2 years old now and had no growth problems.

ETA: Protein is the building block of muscle and you can do serious harm to your growing puppy by feeding a diet deficient in protein.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The thing you want to watch, especially in large breed puppies, is the calcium and phosphorus levels. You don't want those to be high for large breed puppies. Too high calcium and phosphorus levels will cause the fast growth growth issues you mentioned.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I raised my Great Dane puppy on a prey model raw diet that is around 65% protein measured in dry weight. He is 4 1/2 years old now and had no growth problems.
How is 65% protein, measured in dry weight, possible?

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
How is 65% protein, measured in dry weight, possible?
Because raw is just protein and fat, no carbohydrates (assuming we are talking about prey model raw, not BARF). So if you remove the water content from raw meat, depending on the meat source it's 50-75% protein, the rest fat by weight.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Because raw is just protein and fat, no carbohydrates (assuming we are talking about prey model raw, not BARF). So if you remove the water content from raw meat, depending on the meat source it's 50-75% protein, the rest fat by weight.
It doesn't really work that way when you're making a comparison. You can look at the protein content on a dry matter basis (protein/dry matter x 100), or as fed. Either way results in 25% or less.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I think you can compare it, okay take EVO which is 44% protein, and say chicken, which is say 22% protein (I made that up, completely). On a DRY MATTER basis, EVO might be 46% protein, and raw is typically around 60% if you remove all the water.

I am really bad at putting my thoughts into words but I hope that made sense.. LOL :smile:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think you can compare it, okay take EVO which is 44% protein, and say chicken, which is say 22% protein (I made that up, completely). On a DRY MATTER basis, EVO might be 46% protein, and raw is typically around 60% if you remove all the water.

I am really bad at putting my thoughts into words but I hope that made sense.. LOL :smile:
I understand how you're thinking, but that's just not what "dry matter basis" means or how it's calculated.

Equi-Analytical Laboratories - Profiling Feed for Better Nutrition

Dry Matter Basis... the Only Fair Way to Compare Dog Foods

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am currently searching for 18% protein as well. The only one I've found thus far is kibbles and bits, but who the heck wants to feed that junk? :( I'm dealing with a 9 week old puppy who has HOD right now and have had several recommendations for 18% protein to speed up recovery for him. Once he's out of the woods he can go back to 23%. I did research on dog food a good bit in the past and found that higher protein foods kill the kidneys quicker. I believe it was referring to some of the 30% and higher foods though.. This didn't make any sense to me because raw diet has a very high protein percentage. Anywho.. just wanted to throw my two cents in. There are special cases where lower protein is necessary for a limited time. :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
18% is way too low. I would recommend AT LEAST 22% protein and 13% to 14% fat. I raised my Great Dane puppy on a prey model raw diet that is around 65% protein measured in dry weight. He is 4 1/2 years old now and had no growth problems.

ETA: Protein is the building block of muscle and you can do serious harm to your growing puppy by feeding a diet deficient in protein.
Pano is not diet related. My pup is raw fed and currently has Pano. It is common in pups that are typically to heavy and growing to fast, but no proof that diet can cause or prevent it. The best you can do is keep him thin to minimize stress on joints.

http://leerburg.com/pano.htm

·
Registered
253 Posts
I compare grams of protein per serving/meal as well as percentages. One cup of EVO has 44 grams of protein (42% protein 22% fat 11%carbs per GA, 37% protein 47% fat 17% carbs per calorie weighted basis, 47% protein 24% fat 21% carbs per DM). My average homemade raw meal (turkey neck, beef meat, egg, liver, about 260 grams of food total) has 47 grams of protein. Anywho, the protein and fat content of that particular meal is 55% protein and 45% fat on a calorie weighted basis. I have no idea what the dry matter is nor do I give a crap. So saying that raw foods are not high protein is not true.

Moving on...
I am currently searching for 18% protein as well. The only one I've found thus far is kibbles and bits, but who the heck wants to feed that junk? :( I'm dealing with a 9 week old puppy who has HOD right now and have had several recommendations for 18% protein to speed up recovery for him.
Here's a couple low-protein foods that aren't ubercrap that I found with a quick search. Wasn't hard to do. I personally wouldn't feed any of them, but that's just me.

Solid Gold Health Products for Pets - Products
Blue Buffalo - Senior Dogs All Natural Dog Food
Wellness® Complete Health® Super5Mix® Healthy Weight
Wellness® Complete Health® Super5Mix® Just for Seniors
Lamb and Rice Lite Dry Dog Food - Diamond Pet Foods
Lamb Meal and Rice - Senior - Life Stages - Nature's Recipe®
Reduced Calorie Dry Dog - Natural Balance Pet Foods

1 - 20 of 22 Posts