Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'If anyone has any hesitations or doubts about travelling with their pets, let me put your minds at rest. We just spent the last three months travelling 10,000 miles with the two dogs in a motorhome and they have done great with it. We went coast to coast twice and both dogs adapted very well and had a great time and we would never have enjoyed it if we had to leave them at home.

You actually meet the best people by having dogs with you. Everyone comes up to you and wants to meet your dogs and chat about dog stuff. Every campground allows dogs except a few do have 'breed specific' regulations that their insurance companies require them to have. When I told one camground that Rocky was a 'mixed breed" they said as long as he didnt' look like a pit bull he was welcome.

One interesting thing we found out was that people on the west coast were much more dog friendly then those on the east coast. That included campgrounds and in the towns and cities. The campgrounds would have playgrounds for the dogs and the people there would all come right up and want to pet Rocky right away. He got sick while in California and we were able to find a doggie health food store right down the road where the owner spent a long time helping us pick out a wide range of stuff to clear him up from a really bad bout of diarhea that she thought was caused by letting him drink the local water. Apparently no one there actually drinks their own water...they all have filters on their faucets or complex whole house filter systems. I have never seen such a variety of great foods in one store along with holistic vitamins, remedies, and treats. I could have spent hours browsing thru all the goodies they had there for the pups! There's nothing like it in North Carolina.

So, anyone thinking about traveling with their pups, go for it! If Rocky can adapted to it with his former inability to do his business anywhere but in his own backyard, then any dog can. The only thing he didn't care for was the states with cactus. It's not fun picking those tiny cactus plants out of puppy paws. I may order boots for them before our next trip out.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
We take ours with us as often as possible. We hate leaving them behind even for short trips.

Our biggest issue how many places they're NOT welcome these days. Most National Parks for example don't allow them. We love taking hikes with the dogs but unfortunately we can't take trips like the Grand Canyon or Canyonlands because of their ignorant restrictions.

It sucks to see todays society become more receptive to dogs in some ways and more restrictive in others

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
That sounds like so darn much fun!
We just this summer sold our camper. It was a pop up with all the ammenites, shower, heat, airconditoning ,toilet, but as the kids get older they are not as interested, so may some day get a smaller one, but we took the dogs with all the time and I miss it actually now that we dont have it anymore! When we had our dalmation Sparky, she went everywhere with us. I rememebr the hiking with her! You have brought back some sweet memeories for me THANKYOU! That was alot of fun! Your trips sound just fun! And yes you meet the nicest folk and everyone wants to pet the dogs which is so nice for them too!
Keep having those wonderful times! I miss it now but then again there will come another time for this!
Love that story! Thanks for sharing it!:smile:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We just came from the Grand Canyon with the two dogs. It actually snowed while we were there and we have pictures of Rocky in the snow at the Grand Canyon. We stayed in the Trailer Village which is walking distance from the rim. Technically, the dogs have to stay withing the campground 'area' but we walked Rocky all over the woods for miles and he had a fabulous time. He got to see his first coyote and way too much elk poo! We met tent campers and their dogs and quite a few people who live and work at the Grand Canyon and have their own dogs there. I think the key to having dogs in the National Parks is to go off-season when it is not nearly as crowded and to have a really well behaved dog. I did see at least two people who had their dogs right on the paths on the rim of the Grand Canyon and no one stopped them. I didn't take Rocky there because I was too concerned about myself falling in, much less him! But, the dogs are more then welcome in the campground and you are right there in the park. We have also taken them to Devils Tower, Yellowstone, and Grand Tetons. But, we always stay in a campground in a motorhome so maybe that makes a difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts